Skeptics Society News and Site Highlights
Watch Science Salon Free Right Here
Shermer Speaks Out
Follow Michael Shermer on Twitter
- Koobay 30Pack 17 pink Shiny Copper Clothes Metal Wire Hanging Hangers for Shirts Coat Storage & Display
- Hlluya Professional Sink Mixer Tap Kitchen Faucet Copper Single Handle single hole basin, sink and faucet
- Sink Faucet Brass Chrome Basin Faucet, Basin Hot and Cold Faucet
- U-Enjoy Luxury golden Swan Top Quality Shape Faucet Dual Handles Bathroom Deck Mount Mixer Tap in golden (Free Shipping)
- Tap Faucet,Stainless Steel Hot And Cold Water Kitchen Faucet Basin Faucet redating Creative Microphone Mixing Valve
- Kitchen Sink Taps Bathroom Taps Basin Cold Heat Two Holes Face Copper Wash Basinwide Water Dragon Header
- Grey Removable Cover Duvet Cover 60 x80 HomeSmart Products King Size Weighted Blanket 15 lbs 88 x104 400 Thread Count Ultra Soft Largest Weighted Blanket on The Market Perfect for Couples and King Beds
- Lpophy Bathroom Sink Mixer Taps Faucet Bath Waterfall Cold and Hot Water Tap for Washroom Bathroom and Kitchen Full Copper 360° redation Can Be Pulled and Pulled
- Taps Kitchen Sinkblack Brass Basin Faucet Single Handle Waterfall Basin Mixer Tap Hot and Cold Bathroom
- Zest Candle CFZ-019_12 288-Piece Floating Candle, 1.75 , Brown
- Basin Taps Swivel Spout Faucet Modern Single Handle Single Hole Bathroom Sink Faucet with Swiveling Spout Washbasin Mixer Bathroom Faucet
- Ddlli Bathroom Sink Faucet Kitchen Faucet Tap Bath Faucet Free Shipping golden Brass Crystal Handle Bathroom Sink Faucet Tap Hot & Cold Basin Sink Mixer Tap Hj-6651K Brass gold
- Comfy Shelving Wrap Espresso Wire Storage Cubes Folding Solid Translucent Stackable Book Shelf AS1 2 Shelves
- Furinno 2-11157SBE End Table Bedroom Night Stand, Petite, Steam Beech, Set of 2
- Brown PU Solid Wood Chair with Backrest and Armrests As A Dining Chair Padded Kitchen Study Stool Retro Design (color Brown Flannel)
- Antique Brass Dry-Towels Style European Dry-Towels Bathroom Equipment Single Pole Dry-Towels Bathroom,
- Creative Combination of Household Simple Modern Solid Wood Coat Rack Floor Bedroom Hanger Clothes Shelf Tree Twigs Wood color
- CHUNLAN Bed guardrail Crib Railing Portable And Foldable Bed Rails For Toddlers (color PURPLE, Size 200 70cm)
- Taps Kitchen Sinkantique Kitchen Sink Mixer Tap Antique Faucet Antique Sink Hot and Cold Kitchen Sink
- My Caring Cross Heartwood Pocket Holding rosses from The Holy Land (100, Small)
- NUBAOgy Black Wash Basin Faucet Hot And Cold Wash Basin Faucet Bathroom Above Counter Basin Faucet Basin Faucet Single Hole
eSkeptic delivers great articles, videos, podcasts, reviews, op-eds, event announcements, and more to your inbox.
eSkeptic for May 22, 2019
In Science Salon # 67, Atheist Overreach, Christian Smith explains why we ought to be skeptical of the increasingly vociferous and confident claims of atheist apologists about morality, science, and human nature; PLUS Harriet Hall, M.D. examines the dubious claims of radiation hormesis — that low levels of radiation are beneficial to health.
eSkeptic for May 15, 2019
British philosopher Dr. Colin McGinn avers that it is wrong to say that God is by definition all powerful; he is only powerful within the limits of his nature.
- Quote Semicircle Doormat Grunge Style Image on The Cross Scenery and He Has Died for Your Sins Phrase Halfmoon doormats H 39.3 xD 59 Black White Red
eSkeptic for May 8, 2019
In a special edition of the Science Salon Podcast Dr. Shermer brought a camera crew to Jared Diamond’s home in Los Angeles for an especially intimate portrait of the man and his theories. You won’t want to miss this conversation, one of the best we’ve yet recorded, with one of the most interesting minds of our time, perhaps of all time.
eSkeptic for May 1, 2019
VeriSign founder David Cowan avers that science is the key to combatting the spread of disinformation; PLUS, evolutionary anthropologist Michael Tomasello presents his new theory of how humans became such a distinctive species.
- Mandala Half Round Door mats Hand Drawn Ethnic Asian Cosmos Symbol Spiritual Traditional Sacred Floral Pattern Bathroom Mat H 31.5 xD 47.2 Black White
eSkeptic for April 24, 2019
In Science Salon # 63, through the lens of evolutionary science, Dr. Hector A. Garcia offers a novel perspective on why we hold our political ideas, and why they are so often in conflict. Drawing on examples from across the animal kingdom, Garcia reveals how even the most complex political processes can be influenced by our basic drives to survive and reproduce.
The Reading Room is a comprehensive, free resource of articles relating to science and skepticism.
Is Low-Dose Radiation Good for You? The Questionable Claims for Hormesis
Harriet Hall, M.D. examines the dubious claims of radiation hormesis — that low levels of radiation are beneficial to health.
A Disproof of God’s Existence
- ZhiGe Storage seat,Leather Storage Stool Folding Storage Rectangular Storage Box Fashion PVC shoes Bench
How Science Will Explain & Fix Fake News
Fake news, crafted to exploit us, wreaks havoc on our health, finances and politics. VeriSign founder David Cowan avers that science is the key to combatting the spread of disinformation.
Debating Science and Lost Civilizations My Experience on the Joe Rogan Experience
After his appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast # 961 with Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson, Michael Shermer devoted a special issue of Skeptic magazine (22.3) to Hancock’s theory that an ancient lost civilization predates by tens of thousands of years all other known ancient civilizations. The follow is Dr. Shermer’s account of the show and a refinement of his notes for why he is skeptical of Hancock’s theory.
- YELLOW 56CM(22INCH) Wall Mirror Creative Bathroom Mirror Makeup Mirror Decorative Vanity Mirror Round Decorative Mirror Wall Mounted Bathroom Mirror (color Yellow, Size 56CM(22INCH))
In the new book America Before: The Key to Earth’s Lost Civilization, author Graham Hancock looks for traces of a lost Ice Age civilization in the Americas. Despite relying on controversial research and drawing extreme conclusions, his hunt still comes up short.
The breadth of what can be meant by the word “hoax” makes the concept — and consequences — worthy of renewed study. Michelle E. Ainsworth reviews Bunk: The Rise of Hoaxes, Humbug, Plagiarists, Phonies, Post-Facts, and Fake News by Kevin Young and Hoax: A History of Deception: 5000 Years of Fakes, Forgeries, and Fallacies by Ian Tattersall and Peter Nevraumont.
The Science Salon Podcast is a series of conversations between Dr. Michael Shermer and leading scientists, scholars, and thinkers, about the most important issues of our time. Listen via iTunes, Spotify, Google Play Music, HomeRoots Furniture 5 Piece Champagne Burst Wall Mirror (321395), iHeartRadio, Vintage Solid Wood Coat Rack, Wall Hanging Simple Porch Hanger, Bedroom Solid Wood Clothes Hat Hook -48 9.6cm, and 2 Piece Non-Slip Kitchen Mat Doormat Runner Rug Set Thin Low Pile Indoor Area Rugs Ocean Theme Fairy Sunset Over The Sea with The Palms on The Beach at Island in Horizon 19.7 x31.5 +19.7 x47.2 .
Dr. Christian Smith — Atheist Overreach: What Atheism Can’t Deliver
In Science Salon # 67, Atheist Overreach, Christian Smith explains why we ought to be skeptical of the increasingly vociferous and confident claims of atheist apologists about morality, science, and human nature.
Dr. Christian List — Why Free Will is Real: A response to Sam Harris, Jerry Coyne, and Other Determinists
In Science Salon # 66 Dr. Michael Shermer speaks with Dr. Christian List about his new book Why Free Will is Real which defies scientific orthodoxy and presents a bold new defense of free will in the same naturalistic terms that are usually deployed against it.
Jared Diamond — Upheaval: Turning Points for Nations in Crisis
INSIGHT at Skeptic.com is a broadly accessible, evidence-based resource that offers critical perspective on mysteries of science, paranormal claims, and the wild, woolly, wonderful weirdness of the fringe.
The Skeptical Virtue of Seriously Just Being Quiet
Daniel Loxton reflects on the value of listening in order to first understand paranormal beliefs and then communicate effectively with those who hold them.
- bluee Qi Peng- Front Desk Bar Chair Bar Bar Stool Bar Stool Home Dining Table Chair Beauty Chair Hairdressing Chair Bar Chair (color Black)
Is the Earth Flat?
There is growing conspiracy theory belief that the Earth is not a globe, but a flat disc. According to believers, government forces promote a completely fictitious model of the cosmos in order to conceal the true nature of the Earth. Daniel Loxton examines whether these claims are true.
- JINLINE Ledge Floating TV Rack Set-top Box Shelf TV Console Living Room Bedroom TV Wall Decoration Furniture Decoration Wall-Mounted TV Stand (color D)
Astonishing Legends, Questionable Facts
Did a family in Kentucky get drunk and mistake owls for ‘space-goblins’, or was something much more complex going on that hot August night in 1955?
Confessions of a Skeptical Marketer
Guest writer Steve Cuno shares an insider's view on the ethics of advertising in a world full of false claims.
Crabs Skid-Resistant Rugs Joyful Set of Cartoon colorful Crab Characters with Various Expressions and Emotions Sofa Coffee Table Mat 3'11 Multicolor
Secrets of the Ouija Board
In this issue of Junior Skeptic we will dim the lights and gather around an object of mystery: the ouija (pronounced “wee-ja” or “wee-gee”). With a little pointer, these simple but spooky devices spell out answers that appear to come from some invisible source. Some people believe ouija boards release secrets from our subconscious minds. Others claim ouija boards harness supernatural forces to predict the future or contact spirits of the dead. Ouija boards have been used to write entire books, and praised as a source of cosmic wisdom. They have also been blamed for madness, mayhem, and murder. Some even fear that ouija boards are gateways for evil demons. Are any of these claims true? Let’s find out!
How We Know Global Warming is Real and Human Caused
Donald R. Prothero addresses climate change denialism head on, demolishing deniers’ arguments and rebuttals, and clearly demonstrating how we know global warming is real and human caused.
The Skeptics Society proudly presents award-winning podcasts, available on multiple listening platforms such as iTunes, Spotify, Google Play Music, and Soundcloud.
Science Salon is a series of conversations between Dr. Michael Shermer and leading scientists, scholars, and thinkers, about the most important issues of our time.
- Xiaolin Iron Art Multi-Layer Storage Racks Living Room Sofa Coffee Table Side Table 19.6 X 13.7 X 24.8 Inches
MonsterTalk is the science show about monsters that critically examines the science behind cryptozoological (and legendary) creatures.
Skepticality is the pioneering, original skeptical podcast dedicated to the promotion of critical thinking and science.
Read Skeptic Magazine on Your Favorite Device!
Read Skeptic magazine on your Boscoman - Fun Teardrop Adult Vinyl Beanbag - Purple (BOX L), Badger Basket Two Bin Storage Cubby, Red, and Makeup Mirror Geometry golden Copper Hexagon Mirror Bathroom Mirror Bedroom Mirror (color gold, Size 30 26 15cm) devices using the FREE Skeptic Magazine App. Bar Stool bar Chair Solid Wood redating bar Chair backrest Creative Simple high Stool high Chair Retro Front Chair (color 2) using the Decorative Pattern15fiy5326 19.7x31.5In+19.7x47.2In Findamy Non-Slip Indoor Door Mat Entrance Rug Rectangle Absorbent Moisture Floor Carpet for Elephant Heads and Brown Prints Pattern Doormat 23.6x35.4In+23.6x70.9In, or Storage Stool Footstool Footstool Foldaway Toy Storage Box Cube Pouffe Seat Stool Chest Chair Trunk Practical Footrest LEBAO (color Red).
Skeptic Presents is a series of videos that promote science and critical thinking through the use of humor, wit, and satire. With N Bar Stool, Retro Kitchen Stools with Solid Wood High Stools PU & Linen Leather Seat Kitchen Counter Bar Chair,360 Degrees Swivel Iron Foot Design, Breakfast Bar Chair,D, we hope to produce these instructional, educational, and entertaining videos regularly throughout the year for free viewing for everyone, everywhere, to spread the message of the power of science and skepticism to make the world a saner, safer place.
Vaccines are one of science’s greatest achievements. Yet, fears and anxieties about immunization persist. In this article, Christian Orlic reviews Mark A. Largent’s new book Vaccine: The Debate in Modern America (2012, John Hopkins University Press, ISBN 978-1421406077).
DYHOZZ Commercial Umbrella Stand Hotel Lobby Home Umbrella Storage Bucket Multi-Function Umbrella Stand Size 52cm × 50cm × 23cm Umbrella Stand (color gold)
Skeptical Resources Freely Available to Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime
The Skeptical Studies Curriculum Resource Center is a comprehensive, free repository of resources for teaching students how to think skeptically. This Center contains an ever-growing selection of books, reading lists, course syllabi, in-class exercises, PowerPoint presentations, student projects, papers, and videos that you may download and use in your own classes.
We’re pleased to present Daniel Loxton’s challenging and provocative new project, “Why Is There a Skeptical Movement?”. Almost two years in the writing, these two meticulously-researched chapter-length explorations dig deeply into the roots, founding principles, and purpose of scientific skepticism. Arguing that it is essential for skeptics to “appreciate that we’re caretakers for the work of those who have come before,” Loxton carries forward the discussion about the scope and limits of scientific skepticism.
Since April 2001 New York Times bestselling author Michael Shermer has written the “Skeptic” column for Scientific American.
Stein’s Law and Science’s Mission
January 2019: In his 214th consecutive and final ‘Skeptic’ column for Scientific American, Michael Shermer reflects on what science brings to the human project.
- 5 Bar Stools Chair with Backrest PU Seat Adjustable Swivel High Stool for Breakfast Counter Kitchen and Home Barstools Max Load 150 Kg
Kids These Days
In his December 2018 ‘Skeptic’ column for Scientific American Michael Shermer discusses how to avert a looming crisis among today’s youth.
- Barstools Bar Stool with Wingback seat, PVC Interior with Adjustable Height and Light Footstool (color Black)
The Fallacy of Excluded Exceptions
In his November 2018 ‘Skeptic’ column for Scientific American Michael Shermer explains the allegedly spooky coincidences associated with some famous films like Poltergeist, The Exorcist, The Omen, and The Crow.
- Lxrzls Bar Stool Adjustable Lift Swivel Metal Massage Chair Club Kitchen Furniture Breakfast Seat (color Black)
A Mysterious Change of Mind
In his October 2018 ‘Skeptic’ column for Scientific American Michael Shermer considers why suicide is a leading cause of death in the US.
In his September 2018 ‘Skeptic’ column for Scientific American Michael Shermer avers that when women are educated and have access to birth-control technologies, pregnancies and, eventually, abortions decrease
- C Solid Wood Stool Living Room Creative Retro Small Bench Home Adult wear shoes Stool Sofa Change shoes Stool Fabric Stool (color F)
23 and We
In his August 2018 ‘Skeptic’ column for Scientific American, Michael Shermer discusses the limitations of personal genome service testing.
Flannel Mattress,Warm Breathable Single Double Tatami Mattress.for Student Dormitory Family Room-G 150x200cm(59x79inch)
Science in your inbox!
eSkeptic delivers great articles, videos, podcasts, reviews, event announcements, and more to your inbox.
Please support the work of the Skeptics Society. Make the world a more rational place and help us defend the role of science in society.
Browse by Topic
The Baloney Detection Kit Sandwich (Infographic)
For a class project, a pair of 11th grade physics students created the infographic shown below, inspired by Michael Shermer’s Artzfolio Pineapples & Hibiscus Key Holder Hooks Notice Pin Board Dark Brown Frame 20 X 20Inch: a 16-page booklet designed to hone your critical thinking skills.
Top 10 Things to Know About Alternative Medicine
Harriet Hall M.D. discusses: alternative versus conventional medicine, flu fear mongering, chiropractic, vaccines and autism, placebo effect, diet, homeopathy, acupuncture, “natural remedies,” and detoxification.
Science Based Medicine vs. Alternative Medicine
Understanding the difference could save your life! In this superb 10-part video lecture series, Harriet Hall M.D., contrasts science-based medicine with so-called “complementary and alternative” methods.
Coat Rack Nan Bamboo Bedroom Foyer Living Room Coat Rack Modern Flooring Simple Clothes Hanger Drying Hat Rack (Size 50cm)
Is Terrorism an Existential Threat?
This free booklet reveals 10 myths that explain why terrorism is not a threat to our way of life or our survival.
Sofa Stool Solid Wood Fabric Living Room Coffee Table Low Stool Change shoes Stool Cushion Removable Washable Foot Stool 4 Foot Support, 1
The Top Ten Strangest Beliefs
Michael Shermer has compiled a list of the top 10 strangest beliefs that he has encountered in his quarter century as a professional skeptic.
Who believes them? Why? How can you tell if they’re true?
What is a conspiracy theory, why do people believe in them, and can you tell the difference between a true conspiracy and a false one?
(Fourth floor)602405135cm DYR Bamboo Shelf S Shape Storage Unit Chest Bookshelf Cabinet Cabinet Cabinet Home Office Furniture (Dimensions (Second Floor) 60 24.5 68.5 cm)
The Science Behind Why People See Ghosts
Mind altering experiences are one of the foundations of widespread belief in the paranormal. But as skeptics are well aware, accepting them as reality can be dangerous…
Top 10 Myths About Evolution (and how we know it really happened)
If humans came from apes, why aren’t apes evolving into humans? Find out in this pamphlet!
Learn to do Psychic “Cold Reading” in 10
Psychic readings and fortunetelling are an ancient art — a combination of acting and psychological manipulation.
The Whole Round Base Contemporary European Chromium Copper, Bathroom, Toilet, Toilet Paper, Rack Cabinet,Brush Single Cup
5 Cryptid Cards
Download and print 5 Cryptid Cards created by Junior Skeptic Editor Daniel Loxton. Creatures include: The Yeti, Griffin, Sasquatch/Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, and the Cadborosaurus.