Skeptics Society News and Site Highlights
Watch Science Salon Free Right Here
Shermer Speaks Out
Follow Michael Shermer on Twitter
- Sleep Philosophy Bed Pillow For Sleeping With Removable Cover, Body Size, Ivory
- GROHES Kitchen Taps Pull Out 360 Degree redation Dual Handle 3 In 1 Water Filter Purifier Tap,not Include Filter System,matt Black,Black
- Galindo Zip Plus High Sink Tap Mixer (Brass)
- QW Bathroom Sink Faucet Single Handle One Hole Antique Brass Mixer Tap Cold Hot Water
- Cuddl Duds Full Flannel Sheet with Deep Pockets, 4-Pieces - Ivory
- Hlluya Professional Sink Mixer Tap Kitchen Faucet Washbasin full copper pull-down hot and cold basin tap redation stretch tap water faucet gold
- F Double Handle (Full Copper Body) JWLT Basin washbasin, washbasin, basin, hot and cold, single, double hole mixing valve, basin, column, basin, bathroom, water faucet,G single handle (alloy body)
- Mkkwp Brass Deck Mount Bathroom Basin Faucet Vanity Vessel Sinks Mixer Tap Bath Faucets
- Household copper hot and cold kitchen sink faucet, universal redating black faucet
- Bathroom Thickening Bathroom Wash Basin Faucet Hot and Cold Basin Faucet Single Hole Basin Faucet
- LHbox Basin Mixer Tap Bathroom Sink Faucet The Copper BlackAntique basin LED waterfall single hole basin basin cold water tap 3 color temperature control
- Cosmos Gifts 10653 Santa in Airplane Cookie Jar, 9-5 8-Inch
- Retro Style 360° redating Barstool,Solid Wood High Stool,with Comfortable Backrest & Footrest, for Counter Cafe Kitchen Breakfast Pub
- Savannan 2 Piece Non-Slip Kitchen Bathroom Entrance Mat Absorbent Durable Floor Doormat Runner Rug Set - Cool Skull with Red Flower
- Yellow Flower Half Round Door mats Playful Spring with Narcissus Daffodils Flourish Graphic Garden Bathroom Mat H 43.3 xD 64.9 Yellow Cream Pale Pink
- B 180 × 15 × 70cm RFJJAL Headboard Bedside Cushion Pads Washable Cotton Cover Soft Case Lumbar Pillow,Multifunction Large Back Waistguard Neck Guard Highly Flexible, 6 colors, 6 Sizes
- Premium Stand Up Liner Black for Hardside Waterbed Mattress, Queen
- Laundry Hamper Household Can Be Superimposed Classified Clothing Storage Basket Plastic Solid color ZHANGQIANG (color Brown, Size 44 28 114cm)
- WTM CBCL-24 Stackable Bins with Hinged Lids, 24-Quart, Pack of 3
- BOATX High Washbasin Mixer Tap High Spout for Bathroom Matt Black
- Water Tapbathroom Taps Mixer Brushen Nickel Counter Top Sink Tap Mono Basin Mixer Cloakroom Tap
eSkeptic delivers great articles, videos, podcasts, reviews, op-eds, event announcements, and more to your inbox.
eSkeptic for May 22, 2019
In Science Salon # 67, Atheist Overreach, Christian Smith explains why we ought to be skeptical of the increasingly vociferous and confident claims of atheist apologists about morality, science, and human nature; PLUS Harriet Hall, M.D. examines the dubious claims of radiation hormesis — that low levels of radiation are beneficial to health.
eSkeptic for May 15, 2019
British philosopher Dr. Colin McGinn avers that it is wrong to say that God is by definition all powerful; he is only powerful within the limits of his nature.
- JQWGYYMJ Coat Rack, Simple Living Room European Creative Hanger Hat Rack Bold Solid Wood Flooring Home Bedroom Hanger Chocolate color - (Wide) 50 × (D) 50 × (Height) 179cm
eSkeptic for May 8, 2019
In a special edition of the Science Salon Podcast Dr. Shermer brought a camera crew to Jared Diamond’s home in Los Angeles for an especially intimate portrait of the man and his theories. You won’t want to miss this conversation, one of the best we’ve yet recorded, with one of the most interesting minds of our time, perhaps of all time.
eSkeptic for May 1, 2019
VeriSign founder David Cowan avers that science is the key to combatting the spread of disinformation; PLUS, evolutionary anthropologist Michael Tomasello presents his new theory of how humans became such a distinctive species.
eSkeptic for April 24, 2019
In Science Salon # 63, through the lens of evolutionary science, Dr. Hector A. Garcia offers a novel perspective on why we hold our political ideas, and why they are so often in conflict. Drawing on examples from across the animal kingdom, Garcia reveals how even the most complex political processes can be influenced by our basic drives to survive and reproduce.
The Reading Room is a comprehensive, free resource of articles relating to science and skepticism.
Is Low-Dose Radiation Good for You? The Questionable Claims for Hormesis
Harriet Hall, M.D. examines the dubious claims of radiation hormesis — that low levels of radiation are beneficial to health.
A Disproof of God’s Existence
How Science Will Explain & Fix Fake News
Fake news, crafted to exploit us, wreaks havoc on our health, finances and politics. VeriSign founder David Cowan avers that science is the key to combatting the spread of disinformation.
Debating Science and Lost Civilizations My Experience on the Joe Rogan Experience
After his appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast # 961 with Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson, Michael Shermer devoted a special issue of Skeptic magazine (22.3) to Hancock’s theory that an ancient lost civilization predates by tens of thousands of years all other known ancient civilizations. The follow is Dr. Shermer’s account of the show and a refinement of his notes for why he is skeptical of Hancock’s theory.
In the new book America Before: The Key to Earth’s Lost Civilization, author Graham Hancock looks for traces of a lost Ice Age civilization in the Americas. Despite relying on controversial research and drawing extreme conclusions, his hunt still comes up short.
The breadth of what can be meant by the word “hoax” makes the concept — and consequences — worthy of renewed study. Michelle E. Ainsworth reviews Bunk: The Rise of Hoaxes, Humbug, Plagiarists, Phonies, Post-Facts, and Fake News by Kevin Young and Hoax: A History of Deception: 5000 Years of Fakes, Forgeries, and Fallacies by Ian Tattersall and Peter Nevraumont.
Fantasy Fields - Lil' Sports Fan Thematic Kids Wooden Bookcase with Storage Imagination Inspiring Hand Crafted & Hand Painted Details Non-Toxic, Lead Free Water-based Paint
The Science Salon Podcast is a series of conversations between Dr. Michael Shermer and leading scientists, scholars, and thinkers, about the most important issues of our time. Listen via iTunes, Spotify, Google Play Music, shoes Bench Organizing Rack Natural Bamboo shoes Rack Three-Layer Unit Shelf Simple Storage shoes Rack (Size 70 26 50cm), iHeartRadio, Bookcase,Bamboo Desktop Bookshelf Bookcase, Office Desktop Organizer Storage Rack Shelf,Brown,55 20 41cm, and Single Folding Bed, Lunch Bed, Camp Bed, Office Bedroom Living Room Balcony Travel Couch (Design CT-F10-PT).
Dr. Christian Smith — Atheist Overreach: What Atheism Can’t Deliver
In Science Salon # 67, Atheist Overreach, Christian Smith explains why we ought to be skeptical of the increasingly vociferous and confident claims of atheist apologists about morality, science, and human nature.
Dr. Christian List — Why Free Will is Real: A response to Sam Harris, Jerry Coyne, and Other Determinists
In Science Salon # 66 Dr. Michael Shermer speaks with Dr. Christian List about his new book Why Free Will is Real which defies scientific orthodoxy and presents a bold new defense of free will in the same naturalistic terms that are usually deployed against it.
- Black 505080cm Dining Chairs Chair Coffee Chair Negotiate The Chair Solid Wood Dining Chair Kitchen Chair Makeup Chair Computer Chair Modern Lounge Chair Dining Chairs (color Black, Size 50 50 80cm)
Jared Diamond — Upheaval: Turning Points for Nations in Crisis
Fold Flower Mattress,Comfortable Non-Slip Breathable Sleeping pad Mattress Tatami Individual pad-C 180x200cm(71x79inch)
INSIGHT at Skeptic.com is a broadly accessible, evidence-based resource that offers critical perspective on mysteries of science, paranormal claims, and the wild, woolly, wonderful weirdness of the fringe.
The Skeptical Virtue of Seriously Just Being Quiet
Daniel Loxton reflects on the value of listening in order to first understand paranormal beliefs and then communicate effectively with those who hold them.
- Knobonly Cabinet Pulls 4 5 inch Wide Square Kitchen Cupboard Brushed Nickel Finish 7-9 16 inch Hole Centers, 5 Pack
Is the Earth Flat?
There is growing conspiracy theory belief that the Earth is not a globe, but a flat disc. According to believers, government forces promote a completely fictitious model of the cosmos in order to conceal the true nature of the Earth. Daniel Loxton examines whether these claims are true.
- Home & Kitchen Horizon Background on Sandy Beach with Dunes Summer Holiday Calm bluee Yellow Easy Clean Resistant 4'x6'
Astonishing Legends, Questionable Facts
Did a family in Kentucky get drunk and mistake owls for ‘space-goblins’, or was something much more complex going on that hot August night in 1955?
Confessions of a Skeptical Marketer
Guest writer Steve Cuno shares an insider's view on the ethics of advertising in a world full of false claims.
Coat Rack Clothes Hook Shelf Wall Hanging Coat Rack Coat Hook Wall Clothes Hook (color White, Size 3 Hook)
Secrets of the Ouija Board
In this issue of Junior Skeptic we will dim the lights and gather around an object of mystery: the ouija (pronounced “wee-ja” or “wee-gee”). With a little pointer, these simple but spooky devices spell out answers that appear to come from some invisible source. Some people believe ouija boards release secrets from our subconscious minds. Others claim ouija boards harness supernatural forces to predict the future or contact spirits of the dead. Ouija boards have been used to write entire books, and praised as a source of cosmic wisdom. They have also been blamed for madness, mayhem, and murder. Some even fear that ouija boards are gateways for evil demons. Are any of these claims true? Let’s find out!
How We Know Global Warming is Real and Human Caused
Donald R. Prothero addresses climate change denialism head on, demolishing deniers’ arguments and rebuttals, and clearly demonstrating how we know global warming is real and human caused.
The Skeptics Society proudly presents award-winning podcasts, available on multiple listening platforms such as iTunes, Spotify, Google Play Music, and Soundcloud.
Science Salon is a series of conversations between Dr. Michael Shermer and leading scientists, scholars, and thinkers, about the most important issues of our time.
- Indoor Outdoor Rug Sandy Beach with Woman Bag Palm Leaves Sailboat in The Sea Holiday Sunny color for Home and Office 4'x6'
MonsterTalk is the science show about monsters that critically examines the science behind cryptozoological (and legendary) creatures.
- White willow Tingting Side Table Desk End Table Bedside Pulley Shelf U Type Recite Dwarf Mobile Coffee Table Multi-color Optional (color Walnut)
Skepticality is the pioneering, original skeptical podcast dedicated to the promotion of critical thinking and science.
Read Skeptic Magazine on Your Favorite Device!
Read Skeptic magazine on your YONGMEI Bathroom Mirror - Bathroom Mirror Waterproof Bathroom Fashion Wall Mirror Vanity Mirror with Frame Bathroom, Size 88 45cm (color White), Square Door mat W35 x L59 INCH Gothic,Needlecraft Theme Classical Monochrome Gentle Flowers Vintage Garden Bridal Pattern,Black White Easy to Clean, no Deformation, no Fading Non-Slip Door Mat Carpet, and Brown Round LifeX Fashion European Style Home Living Room Round Square Sofa Stool Coffee Table Stool Household Waterproof Leather shoes Bench Shop Dressing Stool Office Adult Small Bench devices using the FREE Skeptic Magazine App. PlenTree Printed ofa Over All-Inluive Non-Lip ofa Bed ae Without Armret for ouh treth nit , using the Creative Wine Cup Holder Upside Down Goblet Rack Hanging Cup Holder Hanging Cup Holder Wrought Iron Wine Cup Holder Hanging Cup Holder Hanging Wine Rack, or DQMSB Coat Rack Floor Type Solid Wood Bedroom Hanger Clothes Rack Home Storage Coat Racks.
Skeptic Presents is a series of videos that promote science and critical thinking through the use of humor, wit, and satire. With Sarina Rustic Industrial Metal & MDF Accent Table in Antique Grey, we hope to produce these instructional, educational, and entertaining videos regularly throughout the year for free viewing for everyone, everywhere, to spread the message of the power of science and skepticism to make the world a saner, safer place.
Mats Kitchen Doormat The Door Bathroom Bedroom Toilet Toilet Door Bedside Water Absorption Anti-Skid Foot Pad (color bluee)
Vaccines are one of science’s greatest achievements. Yet, fears and anxieties about immunization persist. In this article, Christian Orlic reviews Mark A. Largent’s new book Vaccine: The Debate in Modern America (2012, John Hopkins University Press, ISBN 978-1421406077).
BLACK Yxsd Artificial Leather Stool, European Style Sofa Stool, Footstool shoes Bench Small Round Pier Son Bed Stool, Living Room Stool, (color Black)
Skeptical Resources Freely Available to Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime
The Skeptical Studies Curriculum Resource Center is a comprehensive, free repository of resources for teaching students how to think skeptically. This Center contains an ever-growing selection of books, reading lists, course syllabi, in-class exercises, PowerPoint presentations, student projects, papers, and videos that you may download and use in your own classes.
DR shoes Rack Multi-function Wood shoes Rack 6 7 Layer Adjustable Easy to Install Healthy Plates Space Saving Environmental Predection Materials Storage shelf ( color Teak color , Size 292986cm )
We’re pleased to present Daniel Loxton’s challenging and provocative new project, “Why Is There a Skeptical Movement?”. Almost two years in the writing, these two meticulously-researched chapter-length explorations dig deeply into the roots, founding principles, and purpose of scientific skepticism. Arguing that it is essential for skeptics to “appreciate that we’re caretakers for the work of those who have come before,” Loxton carries forward the discussion about the scope and limits of scientific skepticism.
Since April 2001 New York Times bestselling author Michael Shermer has written the “Skeptic” column for Scientific American.
Stein’s Law and Science’s Mission
January 2019: In his 214th consecutive and final ‘Skeptic’ column for Scientific American, Michael Shermer reflects on what science brings to the human project.
- ZHAOHUI Mattress Predector Cotton Waterproof Hypoallergenic Antibacterial Ultra-Thin Breathable Noiseless, 5 colors, 3 Sizes (color E, Size 180X200cm)
Kids These Days
In his December 2018 ‘Skeptic’ column for Scientific American Michael Shermer discusses how to avert a looming crisis among today’s youth.
- Solid Wood bar Stool Chair Dining Chair Home bar Chair Simple Leisure high Stool Stool Front Desk Chair Study Chair (color A)
The Fallacy of Excluded Exceptions
In his November 2018 ‘Skeptic’ column for Scientific American Michael Shermer explains the allegedly spooky coincidences associated with some famous films like Poltergeist, The Exorcist, The Omen, and The Crow.
- 805075cm XUERUI Tables Table, Computer Desks, Heavy Duty Portable Folding Company Office Picnic Garden Beach Camping Durable (color 80 50 75cm)
A Mysterious Change of Mind
In his October 2018 ‘Skeptic’ column for Scientific American Michael Shermer considers why suicide is a leading cause of death in the US.
In his September 2018 ‘Skeptic’ column for Scientific American Michael Shermer avers that when women are educated and have access to birth-control technologies, pregnancies and, eventually, abortions decrease
23 and We
In his August 2018 ‘Skeptic’ column for Scientific American, Michael Shermer discusses the limitations of personal genome service testing.
CIGONG Nordic Creative Hall Umbrella Stand Hotel Lobby Metal Umbrella Stand Household Umbrella Stand Waterproof Carved Umbrella Stand Green 50 20cm Umbrella Stand
Science in your inbox!
eSkeptic delivers great articles, videos, podcasts, reviews, event announcements, and more to your inbox.
Please support the work of the Skeptics Society. Make the world a more rational place and help us defend the role of science in society.
- Cat Bed or Sofa hyx CP-091 Ball-Shaped Corrugated Paper Cat Scratch Board Cat Litter Grinding Claw Toy
- Bar Chair Beauty Stool Bar Stool Iron Art Stool Barber Chair Creative Nail Stool Household 10 colors 1 Size (color C)
- Jiu Si- Beauty Chair Bar Chair Chair Front Chair redatable Bar Chair Lift Bar Stool Hairdressing Stool with Backrest bar Chair (color C)
- Donate via eBay
Browse by Topic
The Baloney Detection Kit Sandwich (Infographic)
For a class project, a pair of 11th grade physics students created the infographic shown below, inspired by Michael Shermer’s Standing Coat Racks Hanger Wall Hanging, Hanger, Wall Hanging Coat Rack, Porch Living Room Wall Hanger -0223 (Size Black): a 16-page booklet designed to hone your critical thinking skills.
Top 10 Things to Know About Alternative Medicine
Harriet Hall M.D. discusses: alternative versus conventional medicine, flu fear mongering, chiropractic, vaccines and autism, placebo effect, diet, homeopathy, acupuncture, “natural remedies,” and detoxification.
Science Based Medicine vs. Alternative Medicine
Understanding the difference could save your life! In this superb 10-part video lecture series, Harriet Hall M.D., contrasts science-based medicine with so-called “complementary and alternative” methods.
Is Terrorism an Existential Threat?
This free booklet reveals 10 myths that explain why terrorism is not a threat to our way of life or our survival.
LYXPUZI Barhocker Nordic bar Stool Wrought Iron bar Stool high Stool bar Stool Dining Chair bar Chair Frühstücksschemel (Size 46 46 65cm)
The Top Ten Strangest Beliefs
Michael Shermer has compiled a list of the top 10 strangest beliefs that he has encountered in his quarter century as a professional skeptic.
Who believes them? Why? How can you tell if they’re true?
What is a conspiracy theory, why do people believe in them, and can you tell the difference between a true conspiracy and a false one?
The Science Behind Why People See Ghosts
Mind altering experiences are one of the foundations of widespread belief in the paranormal. But as skeptics are well aware, accepting them as reality can be dangerous…
Top 10 Myths About Evolution (and how we know it really happened)
If humans came from apes, why aren’t apes evolving into humans? Find out in this pamphlet!
Footstool PU Leather seat with Wooden Square Cushion seat shoes Bench Yellow can be Used for Corridor Living Makeup
Learn to do Psychic “Cold Reading” in 10
Psychic readings and fortunetelling are an ancient art — a combination of acting and psychological manipulation.
5 Cryptid Cards
Download and print 5 Cryptid Cards created by Junior Skeptic Editor Daniel Loxton. Creatures include: The Yeti, Griffin, Sasquatch/Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, and the Cadborosaurus.